Sunday, June 20, 2010

Where's My Beret and Megaphone?

I really think I missed my true calling. Being a statistician is fun and all, but part of me will always wish I had gone into directing music videos.

Seriously.

No really, I'm not kidding.

My interest started back when my parents bought a video camera to record our school performances. It more often was used to record my sister lip syncing to Matchbox 20 or a documentary of our cat's adventures in the front yard. Then I took a directing class in undergrad to fulfill my Theater minor and was told by the teacher that he would have put me right into the directing program if they hadn't cut it the year before. And my four year stint at the record store cemented my love of mixing music with visuals.

I hate that music videos are no longer a majority of the programming on MTV or VH1 (who am I kidding, it's not even the minority). I used to TiVo Nocturnal State to watch during normal hours, but that even got cut last month. So I have to go online to watch them. And critique them to no end, cause that's the best part!

I'm really in awe of some music videos and how well they translate the feel of a song. See Brand New's "Jesus" for an awesome example.


Others, however, are so craptastic, I have to call them out on it. Lately, Katy Perry's "California Gurls" has been playing all over the radio and I had to watch the video (quit laughing, it's so horribly catchy...), because I had all these preconceived notions of what it should look like. To my utter shock, the video is terrible! It's so cliche, but rollerblading along a boardwalk would have been ten times better. What does Snoop Dogg playing Candyland have to do with California?



If Miss Perry would like to fix this atrocity, I'll be available to help out. First thing we'll be getting rid of is the blue wig.

No comments: