Wednesday, April 8, 2009

Traveling Through the South and Midwest

Now that we've made it out of the depths of winter, I thought I'd write a little about what we've been up to.

Back in March, we took a long weekend drive down to Santa Fe for Aaron's birthday. It was his first time down there and my first time back in a few years. We ended up at a very nice hotel, the Old Santa Fe Inn. It was only three blocks from the plaza and Aaron's favorite part was the breakfast burrito bar every morning. It was great to wander around all the museums (which are free Friday evenings from 5-8pm!) and eat fantastic food. I loved seeing all the galleries and art around the town.


We snuck into the Cathedral Basilica of St. Francis of Assisi to look around. Turns out the Friday night Mass was starting so we had to rush out! But it was beautiful inside and worth it.


We spent one of the days up in Taos, originally to see the Pueblo, but it was still closed for the season. On the way up, we stopped to take in a view of the Rio Grande Gorge. Can you see why Georgia O'Keefe fell in love with this area?






Just this last weekend, I headed out to the Midwest to visit a friend from grad school. I was very surprised at Des Moines lack of skyscrapers, these were all I could find.


At the Science Museum, I got to pretend to be on the Channel 13 Weather Team.


This is M showing off the foam arch we built.


We also got some yoga and climbing in, which I haven't done in forever. And yes, just to prove there is climbing in IA:


I woke up to a snow storm the day I was flying back home. It kept me sitting on the tarmac an extra 45 minutes, but it sure was serene earlier.


The best part of the trip? (Aside from hanging out with M, thanks for being such an awesome hostess!) I got to snuggle with these three gentlemen a ton.


They're doing artistic stair poses, can't you tell?

No comments: