Tuesday, April 7, 2009

5 Reasons Why I Love My Furry (Or Feathered) Best Friends

At work, we are starting a fundraiser for the local humane society. It just so happens to be the same one that Miss Moxie came from too! I'm helping out because I cannot say no to fuzzy little creatures and this cause is near and dear to my heart. I got to thinking and realized there's never been a point in my life where I haven't had a pet of some kind. I grew up in the suburbs with chickens and goats in the backyard (much to the chagrin of the H.O.A.) and cats and dogs inside. I even had a menagerie of guinea pigs, a rabbit, a parakeet and fish in my apartment throughout college.

There are plenty of reasons why I love animals even more than some humans, but I think the best ones are:

1) They are always happy to see you when you get home. Whether they are ready to play or they just want you to fill the food bowl, your presence is awaited.

2) When you are having a down and out day, they will be more than willing to snuggle up and listen to you vent. Or if you have a parakeet, he's happy to tell you all about his day right back.

3) They are good at protecting the home. Either your dog will ward off intruders with a ferocious bark or the cat will trip them on their way in, it's a pretty inexpensive alarm system.

4) Responsibility. You will never sleep in until noon, because you'll be assaulted with cat breath in your face or the highest pitched squealing that doesn't even seem like it could come out of that little rodent. Hmm, maybe this isn't the best pro to owning animals...

5) Soft, velvety puppy ears. Seriously, is there anything better in life than this?

What are your favorite things about your pets?

No comments: