Thursday, November 13, 2008

On the Shelf

I've been tagged by Erin! The challenge is this:
Go to your nearest bookshelf. On the top shelf (or highest shelf with books) what book is fifth from the right and why did you love it? Now go to the bottom shelf (or lowest shelf with books). Tell us about the fifth book from the left. Then tag five of your blog buddies - link please! - to do the same. Be sure to link to the person who tagged you too.

Top, Fifth from Right - The Stand by Stephen King
I read this book only a year ago, but had attempted to watch the movie with friends back in undergrad. We got three hours in and were exhausted. I'm glad I came back to the book, because it is fantastic! As an avid fan of medical thrillers, this is the best of the best. King seamlessly moves from how the characters deal with the Superflu to interacting with the other survivors. There's also a very supernatural side to the story. And part of the book is set in Boulder, what's not to love? Very well told story and worth the length.

Bottom, Fifth from Left - Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix by J.K. Rowling
I waited to read this series until a month before the seventh book came out. I was being stubborn and kept ignoring everyone who told me I'd love them. I'm doing the same boycott right now of the Twilight series, so we'll see how long that lasts. Once I got started on Mr. Potter, I couldn't stop. I haven't reread them since, so I kind of forgot what happens in each one specifically, but I do remember this one brought in new characters as well as greater depth to everyone than previously seen in the earlier books. I liked how the tone of the books seemed to mature as the characters themselves did. I wouldn't say Rowling is one of my favorite authors because I'd like to see what else she can do first.

I'm going to tag Marisa, Merix, and Jess. Everybody else who's blog I read has already been tagged!

No comments: