I recently finished the book "High Fidelity" by Nick Hornby. As a music (and John Cusack) aficionado, I already own the movie and have watched it billions of times. The book turned out to be just as great. Hornby also wrote "About A Boy" and I'm looking forward to reading that next.
In the spirit of Championship Vinyl, I present to you my top five music artists. They're not numbered, because I don't think I could say one band in particular is the best. Please to enjoy!
- Mae - These guys are amazing! If you've never heard them, go! Listen! Now! I'm a little sad that there's a different keyboardist and bass player, so they'll have to prove their worthiness in the next album. Mae's songs have gotten me through so many different times in my life: happy, sad and confused. Dave's voice is so melodic and soothing, you can't help but like it. Favorite songs are "Ready and Waiting to Fall" and "Someone Else's Arms," both from The Everglow.
- Eve 6 - If you happened to be at a school dance anytime in 2001 or 2002, I'm sure you've heard "Here's to the Night" over and over. But please don't hate them just because of this super sappy example of a song! While I was under the impression they had disbanded for good, the website just informed be they're back! Aaron is so getting dragged to one of their shows. I think what makes this band so interesting is Max's lyrics. I don't know if I can explain it properly, you just have to listen carefully. Favorite songs are "Anytime" from the Out Cold soundtrack and "Friend of Mine" from It's All In Your Head.
- Brand New - These guys get a nod for being the reason Aaron and I met. Oh yeah, they're also incredibly talented... Each albums sounds completely different from the one before it. Your Favorite Weapon is young punk, Deja Entendu is lyrical and The Devil And God Are Raging Inside Me is dark and moody. These guys are also fantastic live. Favorite songs are "The Boy Who Blocked His Own Shot" on Deja Entendu and "Jesus" off of The Devil And God Are Raging Inside Me.
- Fall Out Boy - I know, I know, I'll receive a ton of flak for this, but have you ever listened to Patrick Stump's voice? I'm going to pull the "I knew of them before they were big" card and tell you their first albums were just as cool as the newest. Yes, they've sold out. Yes, they're totally pop. Yes, Pete wears jeans three sizes too small (and that are for girls). I don't care, I LOVE THEM! Favorite songs are "Sending Postcards From A Plane Crash (Wish You Were Here)" from Take This To Your Grave and "Of All The Gin Joints In All The World" on From Under The Cork Tree.
- Unwritten Law - UL just rocks, what more can I say? Favorites are "Coffin Text" on Unwritten Law, "Rest Of My Life" from Elva and "Save Me (Wakeup Call)" off of Here's To The Mourning.
There are so many more bands that could have made this list, but then it would have been Kallie's Top 100. And that's a project best left for another day.