Monday, May 19, 2008

Got Ink?

On my way in to work this morning, the radio show I listen to was discussing on whether or not people with tattoos and piercings are still judged unfairly because of their outward appearance. One host brought up an unfair stereotype that those with ink or holes are "loose" or "wild" in many ways (not his opinion, just what he knows can be perceived).

Most of my friends and family know that I have 2 tattoos and one piercing. And I am by no means "wild!" I've never touched drugs, don't drink excessively and I'd like to think that I was a pretty easy-going teenager, relatively speaking. Most people are surprised when they find out I've got tattoos, because I seem to be the least likely person to get any. I did put both in spots that I can cover easily and, as of lately, I haven't been wearing the upper earring. I don't regret either of my tattoos and I think Aaron has come to accept them (right Aaron?).

I can understand when people say they would never want something so permanent on their body, but to claim that people who do get tattoos are inherently bad is another thing. A good portion of people get inked for a specific reason, whether it be to celebrate a child, mourn a lost loved one or to commemorate a special part of their lives. Please, general public, don't automatically judge someone the minute you see some color poking out from under their sleeve. If you can look past that, you might find one of the most professional, hard-working or nicest people you've ever met.

No comments: